At Anderson Lloyd we recognise our responsibilities as custodians of a multi-generational firm. We take ownership of, and are accountable for our measurable emissions while conducting day to day business. This is why Anderson Lloyd is proud to be the first mid – large size New Zealand law firm to become Toitū carbonzero certified in line with international best practice. The Toitū Envirocare certification programme has provided a framework to reduce Anderson Lloyd’s greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint and now with a baseline GHG measure in place, the annual cycle sees our firm commit to ongoing measuring, managing, verifying and mitigation of carbon emissions.
Being ‘Sustainable’ is imbedded in our culture and is one of our core values at Anderson Lloyd. We therefore know we have a responsibility to deliver beyond carbon neutrality.
As a result, we are also committed to:
- restoring local biodiversity through partnering with Trees That Count (managed by Project Crimson) by annually funding 2,000 native trees.
- investing in leading edge technology to minimise business travel e.g. video conferencing
- partnering with organisations to develop commercial structures to offset carbon and to encourage green investment.
- advising on renewable energy projects including wind and solar, Cleantech, Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) obligations, forestry and carbon credits, and the climate change aspects of Resource Management Act.
- providing Community Days to staff to give back to the communities in which we operate. So far these days have predominantly been used for local tree planting days e.g. Motutapu Restoration Trust.
- requiring sustainability accreditation to be provided in our supplier procurement processes. As a result we have recently changed our electricity supplier to Ecotricity.
- ensuring we have a seat at the table to discuss best practice and further innovation with business leaders in this field. Anderson Lloyd is a member of the Sustainable Business Council, Climate Leaders Coalition, and NZ Green Building Council.
- monitoring a range of environmental measures (including distances driven and flown, paper usage and energy usage) and regularly reporting on these to the whole firm.
- having in place an in-house Sustainability Committee providing a forum to create tangible changes in our office practices.
- nudging sustainable behaviour through office products e.g. staff and client meeting use KeepCups.
Anderson Lloyd takes social responsibility seriously. The firm is a foundation signatory of the NZLS Gender Equality Charter and maintains one of the highest percentages of women partners of any NZ law firm. The firm is also a member of Diversity Works who aim to better New Zealand through representation and inclusion of different genders, ethnicities, sexualities, spiritualties and ages, and who also run unconscious bias awareness and training.
Anderson Lloyd offers flexible working arrangements to ensure members of society such as working parents are not disadvantaged.
Anderson Lloyd is also an Accredited Living Wage Employer.