At Anderson Lloyd we recognise our responsibilities as custodians of a multi-generational firm. We take ownership of, and are accountable for our measurable emissions while conducting day to day business. This is why Anderson Lloyd is proud to be one of New Zealand’s first law firms to become Toitū carbonzero certified in line with international best practice. The Toitū Envirocare certification programme has provided a framework to reduce Anderson Lloyd’s greenhouse gas (GHG) footprint and now with a baseline GHG measure in place, the annual cycle sees our firm commit to ongoing measuring, managing, verifying and mitigation of carbon emissions.
Recently we were delighted to announce that as a firm we reduced our total greenhouse gas emissions by 10% to 247.51 tCO2e for the year to 31 March 2020, as reported in annual audit requirements of our Toitū carbonzero certification. To further reduce our emissions, we have developed a GHG emissions management plan and reduction targets. Broken down into key emission contributors, these targets are:
|Emissions reduction initiative||Reduction target||Baseline (tCO2e)||Target date|
|Purchased electricity emissions||2%||42.15||31/03/2023|
|Air miles travelled||5%||200.48||31/03/2023|
|Overall intensity target||7.5%||263.00||31/03/2024|
Being ‘Sustainable’ is imbedded in our culture and is one of our core values at Anderson Lloyd. We therefore deliver beyond carbon neutrality and are also committed to:
- restoring local biodiversity with Trees That Count (managed by Project Crimson) by annually funding 2,000 native trees.
- investing in leading edge technology to minimise business travel e.g. video conferencing.
- partnering with organisations to develop commercial structures to offset carbon and to encourage green investment.
- advising on renewable energy projects including wind and solar, Cleantech, Emission Trading Scheme (ETS) obligations, forestry and carbon credits, and the climate change aspects of Resource Management Act.
- providing Community Days to staff to give back to the communities in which we operate. So far these days have predominantly been used for local tree planting days e.g. Motutapu Restoration Trust.
- requiring sustainability accreditation as part of our supplier procurement processes. As a result we have changed our electricity supplier to Ecotricity.
- ensuring we have a seat at the table to discuss best practice and further innovation with business leaders in this field. Anderson Lloyd is a member of the Sustainable Business Council, Climate Leaders Coalition, and NZ Green Building Council.
- having in place an in-house Sustainability Committee providing a forum to create tangible changes in our office practices.
- nudging sustainable behaviour through office products e.g. staff and client meeting use KeepCups.
Anderson Lloyd takes social responsibility seriously. Our firm is a foundation signatory of the NZLS Gender Equality Charter and maintains one of the highest percentages of women equity partners of any New Zealand law firm. We have clear and measurable diversity objectives from graduate recruitment to board representation.
We offer flexible working arrangements and technology systems to fit individual circumstances including parenting ensuring members of our society are not disadvantaged.
We encourage strong staff participation. This participatory model has enabled us to achieve greater diversity of thought and staff engagement.
The firm is also a member of Diversity Works who aim to better New Zealand through representation and inclusion of different genders, ethnicities, sexualities, spiritualties and ages, and who also run unconscious bias awareness and training.
Since 2018, we have partnered with Taimana Training who run Te Reo classes across all of our offices. The aim of this program is to enable our people to gain confidence in their everyday use of te reo and obtain insights into how Māori culture shapes thinking and behaviours, creating a higher level of appreciation for indigenous languages and cultural diversity.
Anderson Lloyd is also an Accredited Living Wage Employer.