Agribusiness and rural
Anderson Lloyd has an extensive agribusiness and rural practice. Our specialist team has expertise in all aspects of farming, fishing and aquaculture, forestry and irrigation. We form solid partnership with our agribusiness and rural clients and assist them to find solutions and to reach their business goals.
We have experience in supporting and advising the businesses that support New Zealand’s primary sector. This includes retail and distribution, infrastructure, commodities, production and post farm gate services.
We have specialist expertise in the farming sector and act for a wide range of farming businesses and individuals, including advising on:
- agreements for joint venture farming entities
- resource management, including consents for irrigation, effluent discharge and prosecution work
- lease, acquisition and disposal of farming properties and rural businesses
- water rights and water schemes
- co-operative company shareholdings, e.g. Fonterra shares
- finances and ownership structures of farming businesses
- succession and inheritance issues.
Fishing and aquaculture
Our expert team has a leading reputation in aquaculture and fisheries, and has been deeply involved in fisheries legal work since the advent of New Zealand’s quota management system in 1986.
Our experience includes:
- financing and selling aquaculture businesses
- creating and structuring fish traders, processers and exporters
- the sale of vessels, quota and fishing businesses
- the financing of fishing companies, vessels and quota
- seafood export transactions
- establishing multinational fishing companies
- defending fisheries prosecutions and providing advice regarding the risk of forfeiture of fisheries assets
- all aspects of the unique employment relationships inherent in the fishing industry.
We understand export markets as well as the legal aspects of foreign investment in fisheries assets and advise on the consenting of aquaculture developments under the Resource Management Act 1991 and the Fisheries Act 1996, including the large offshore marine farm in Marlborough’s Clifford Bay.
Anderson Lloyd has significant experience advising on all matters relating to the acquisition of forestry estates, including property and environmental due diligence, drafting and negotiating transaction documents, and obtaining consent under the Overseas Investment Act 2005.
We also provide advice to clients active in the forestry and broader wood-products sector. We advise on property matters, log supply contracts, harvesting, management and other commercial contracts and the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme.
Anderson Lloyd is the trusted strategic advisor for major players in New Zealand’s irrigation sector, with a proven ability to deliver results.
Our specialist team advises on consenting, land access and acquisition, compensation water user agreements, and capital raising including Product Disclosure Statements, banking and construction agreements associated with large-scale irrigation schemes.
We have proven technical, strategic and advocacy skills, industry knowledge and connections, and the political and cultural awareness to be highly effective in this area.
Our team has advised on a number of existing or proposed schemes in the North and South Islands. We also act for individual farmers and agribusinesses in securing water rights for irrigation purposes.
Wine and viticulture
We have a strong reputation as advisers to many New Zealand winemakers and grape growers.