Technology and Digital
Anderson Lloyd offers specialist advice to clients in technology and other IP-rich market sectors to enable them to create, protect and commercialise their intellectual property. Our deep sectoral expertise encompasses procurement, outsourcing and the delivery of complex IT projects, as well as first-class capability in data privacy issues.
As we move further into the digital age, existing industries are transformed through developments in technology, media, telecoms, AI, machine learning and blockchain, while intangible assets now make up a much greater part of enterprise value. Big data also brings its own challenges, with avoiding privacy breaches as well as targeting opportunities for data commercialisation becoming major focus points at board level for businesses of all shapes and sizes.
Our technology experience covers:
- software development and technology licensing
- outsourcing, facilities management
- guiding clients through the life-cycle of a tech solution procurement
- agile contracting
- SaaS / cloud computing
- data protection and management of cyber risk
Our intellectual property experience covers:
- registration of IP both in New Zealand and overseas (including under international conventions such as the Madrid Protocol)
- trade mark portfolio management
- commercialisation of IP, including:
- corporate structuring of intangible assets
- licensing arrangements
- intangible assets sales
- research and development agreements
- enforcement actions to protect IP
Our data privacy experience covers:
- audits of data collection processes
- privacy breach management
- virtual privacy officer capability
- management of privacy complaints
Our team of lawyers regularly advises on corporate transactions involving tech companies, with particular expertise in fintech, medtech and agtech. We are very active in the early stage space and regularly guide founders through the start-up process, positioning them to be investment-ready for their seed, series A and later funding rounds. Our specialist lawyers also understand that cash-flow is critical to early stage ventures, and to give you cost certainty we are happy to provide fixed pricing for discrete workflows such as shareholders agreements, investment documentation and employee share option plans. We will also align our billing to your funding rounds.
Our team is recognised as a leading law firm in Technology, Media and Telecoms (TMT) in the most recent edition of The Legal 500 (Asia Pacific). Client feedback in the 2021 edition stated ‘”Anderson Lloyd is a firm that believes in that extra personal touch. The firm is excellent with communication and the guidance I have received has been, in my opinion, second to none. I work between the USA and Auckland and there is no comparison between the two. They have fantastic contacts that have benefited my company immensely and they always add value. Anderson Lloyd is THE firm to use of you have a start-up”.