Otago Regional Council Water Quality Stakeholders Forum25 Jun 2014 |
The Otago Regional Council (ORC) is holding a Water Quality Stakeholders Forum on Friday 27 June from 9:45 am – 4:00 pm, at the Scenic Southern Cross Hotel, Dunedin.
The purpose of the forum is to discuss what the new Otago Water Plan rules, that came about through Plan Change 6A on Water Quality and which became operative on 1 May 2014, mean for landholders and how the ORC will implement the rules.
The new approach adopted for water quality management by the ORC is unique in New Zealand. It requires landowners/managers to meet discharge thresholds in the way that best suits them rather than have the ORC manage land use activities in order to manage contaminant discharges. There are set timeframes for achieving good water quality. Responsibility for achieving compliance with the rules rests with landowners/managers, therefore it is imperative that they understand what is required of them.
At the forum the ORC will discuss:
- Permitted activities and prohibited activities
- Applying the water quality rules to land management
- The difference between Schedule 15 (characteristics and numerical limits and targets) and Schedule 16 (discharge thresholds)
- The water quality compliance strategy
- The water quality implementation programme
We encourage anyone with an interest in Otago’s water to attend, in particular those who use water or discharge water and/or contaminants.
You can register to attend at http://email@example.com or by phoning Charlotte Stickings on 0800 474 082.
If you cannot make it to the Water Quality Stakeholders Forum the ORC is holding a series of roadshows located at:
- Roxburgh Tuesday, 1 July 1:30pm – 3:00pm Roxburgh Memorial Hall
- Wanaka Tuesday, 1 July 7:30pm – 9:00pm Lake Wanaka Centre, Armstrong Room
- Tarras Wednesday, 2 July 10:00am – 11:30am Tarras Community Hall
- Omakau Wednesday, 2 July 3:00pm – 4:30pm Rugby Club Rooms
If you would like more information about how you might be affected by the new rules in the Otago Water Plan, please contact our specialist resource management team.
PDF version : ORC Water Quality Stakeholders Forum
Prepared by William Jennings.