Senior Associate, Dunedin
LLB, BA, B Ed, PG Dip Ch Ad, University of Otago
Fi is a Senior Associate in our Employment Team. Based out of the Dunedin office, Fi specialises in employment and education law. Fi has been with the firm since 2007. Prior to becoming a lawyer Fi worked as a primary school teacher, which puts her in a strong position to advise on legal issues affecting schools.
Fi’s career started in the education sector, including a Post Graduate Diploma in Child Advocacy, and teaching at primary schools in Otago and the United Kingdom, before moving into law.
Fi believes that experience in the workforce is a valuable asset for employment lawyers, to enable them to provide workable solutions to workplace issues. Her teaching experience means she can provide practical advice to education sector clients.
Fi loves working directly with clients and resolving legal issues. Where a client is in a dispute situation she prefers to start with the co-operative approach; exploring options for resolution of issues rather than launching straight into formal processes. However, she understands the need to stand up and fight, if necessary, and is always determined to obtain the best client outcome.
Fi is the legal advisor to the New Zealand Principals’ “Principals Advice and Support Scheme.” She is a past member of the Board of Trustees for Otago Girls’ High School, and the Board of Knox College and Salmond College.
- Education Law Series Part 4: Health and Well-being
- Education Law Series Part 3: Dealing with Employment Issues
- Education Law Series Part 2: Dealing with Legal Issues
- Privacy Officer Alert
- Education Law Series Part 1: Introduction and “Know Your Collective”
- Dismissal for incompatibility
- Immigration New Zealand – Maximising the opportunities for New Zealand workers
- Privacy issues in the workplace with COVID-19