Partner, Tāmaki Makaurau | Auckland
LLB, BA, University of Otago
Dan is a Partner who advises on all aspects of commercial property law, with a particular focus on assisting clients with:
- forestry law, including acquisitions and disposals of forestry estates;
- mixed-use developments;
- shopping centre acquisitions and sales;
- commercial and industrial leasing; and
- Overseas Investment Act applications.
Dan also regularly advises clients on emissions trading scheme issues and carbon forestry projects and is a member of Anderson Lloyd’s specialist Carbon Trading, Emissions Trading Scheme and Climate Change team.
Dan works hard to help clients achieve their goals and provides timely and commercial advice.
Dan has been involved in a number of high value property deals in New Zealand. His recent experience includes advising:
- New Forests Asset Management Pty Limited on its acquisitions of significant New Zealand forestry assets as well as property management issues;
- NZ Retail Property Group on its town centre and shopping mall developments;
- James Kirkpatrick Group Limited on the development and leasing of its industrial assets in the greater Auckland region;
- Jasper Property Limited on the acquisition of industrial properties for its Industrial Plus Fund;
- Silverfin Capital Limited on the syndicated acquisition and management of various industrial, commercial and retail assets;
- Ports of Auckland Limited on its legal property requirements in the Auckland region and on the development and leasing of its Horotiu Freight Hub;
- Argosy Property Limited on the development and leasing of its retail and commercial assets; and
- Manulife Investment Management on its forestry portfolio.
Dan is internationally recognised by top global/national legal directories for his expertise advising on real estate matters, including Chambers and Partners, Legal 500, NZ Lawyer and asialaw Profiles. The Chambers & Partners (Asia Pacific) 2021 edition states Dan is praised by a client as a “hard-working, responsive practitioner with great sectoral knowledge and experience”.
Dan is an accredited specialist member of the Property Law Section of the New Zealand Law Society and is one of the primary authors of the Chambers and Partners Global Practice Guide to Real Estate in New Zealand.
- 2023 Carbon Forestry Conference
- Proposed changes to the NZ Emissions Trading Scheme and Permanent Forest Category
- Tenant’s obligation to pay reinstatement costs
- Forests damaged by Cyclone Gabrielle? This is what you can do
- New Zealand Units – The Basics
- An Introduction to Bioenergy and its Interface with Forestry
- Overseas Investment (Forestry) Amendment Bill
- Special forestry test under the Overseas Investment Act 2005 to end for overseas investors planning to convert farm to forest
- Carbon Forests
- Emissions Trading Scheme – auctions and how they work
- Recent changes to tax and purchase price allocation under the Income Tax Act 2007
- Anderson Lloyd sole author of the 2021 Chambers Global Practice Guide – New Zealand Real Estate chapter
- Year in Review – 2020 property case law developments
- Property newsletters 2019 to 2021
- Forests (Regulation of Log Traders and Forestry Advisors) Amendment Bill
- Proposed changes to the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme and Climate Change Response Act 2002
- The Overseas Investment Amendment Act 2018: What it means for the forestry industry