Senior Associate, Christchurch
LL.B (Hons), University of Otago
Josh is a Senior Associate in our Corporate and Commercial Team with over 10 years’ experience as a lawyer. He has a wide range of experience but is particularly experienced at executing mergers and acquisitions and other corporate transactions.
Although Josh is based in Ōtautahi Christchurch, he represents clients across Aotearoa and regularly travels to Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland in particular. He also acts for international clients establishing or acquiring domestic businesses.
Josh is focused on understanding his clients’ commercial drivers and bringing a practical approach. Prior to joining Anderson Lloyd, Josh was Associate General Counsel at Heartland Bank, so has an understanding of both sides of the client engagement. Before his time in-house, Josh worked at large law firms in both New Zealand and Australia.
Josh advises clients on a broad range of matters – from commercial contracts, technology contracts, and corporate governance matters through to significant M&A transactions, capital raisings, shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, and corporate structuring.
Josh also a specialist focus in climate change and the emissions trading scheme, and advises clients on the scheme as well as commercial contracts relating to the scheme and NZ units.
Josh is Ngāi Tahu and is guided by kaitiakitanga (stewardship), whanaungatanga (relationships) and manaakitanga (support/hospitality). He also advises iwi/Māori organisations on a variety of matters.
- Managing Exotic Forestry Afforestation in the ETS
- Best young legal talent in NZ for 2022 revealed
- Ināia totu nei: A low emissions future for Aotearoa – Agri sector
- Emissions Trading Scheme – auctions and how they work
- ETS consultations: Industrial allocations and market governance
- Recent changes to tax and purchase price allocation under the Income Tax Act 2007
- ETS Reforms – Pricing considerations
- Shareholders’ agreements – a key lesson about planning for the future