Partner, Ōtautahi | Christchurch
LL.B (Hons), University of Otago
Josh is a Partner in our Corporate and Commercial Team with over 10 years’ experience as a lawyer. He has a wide range of commercial expertise but is particularly experienced at executing mergers and acquisitions and other commercial transactions.
Although Josh is based in Ōtautahi Christchurch, he represents clients across Aotearoa and regularly travels to Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland in particular. He also acts for international clients establishing or acquiring domestic businesses.
Josh is focused on understanding his clients’ commercial drivers and bringing a practical approach. Prior to joining Anderson Lloyd, Josh was Associate General Counsel at Heartland Bank, so has an understanding of both sides of the client engagement. Before his time in-house, Josh worked at large law firms in both New Zealand and Australia.
Josh advises clients on a broad range of matters – from commercial contracts, technology contracts, and corporate governance matters through to significant M&A transactions, capital raisings, shareholder arrangements, joint ventures, and corporate structuring.
Josh also has a specialist focus on climate change and the emissions trading scheme, and advises clients on a variety of arrangements involving the New Zealand carbon market, such as carbon forestry projects, long term off-take agreements for NZUs, carbon management and other commercial contracts, as well as the scheme itself.
Josh is Ngāi Tahu and is proud of his whakapapa. He advises iwi/Māori organisations on a variety of matters.
- Sealord secures carbon credit deal with native forestry project
- Proposed changes to the NZ Emissions Trading Scheme and Permanent Forest Category
- Climate Change Commission opens consultation on its draft advice to the Government on the second emissions reduction plan
- ETS Update: Proposed changes to industrial allocation amounts and penalties for small forestry participants
- Government to review New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme (ETS)
- Improving market governance of the New Zealand Emissions Trading Scheme
- Climate Change Commission releases advice on Emissions Trading Scheme unit limits and price control settings for 2023 – 2027
- Key takeaways from our first Emissions Reduction Plan
- We are delighted to announce the promotion of Josh Williams to Partner, in Anderson Lloyd’s Ōtautahi, Christchurch office.
- Impact of the Fair Trading Amendment Act 2022
- Managing Exotic Forestry Afforestation in the ETS
- Best young legal talent in NZ for 2022 revealed
- Ināia totu nei: A low emissions future for Aotearoa – Agri sector
- Emissions Trading Scheme – auctions and how they work
- ETS consultations: Industrial allocations and market governance
- Recent changes to tax and purchase price allocation under the Income Tax Act 2007
- ETS Reforms – Pricing considerations
- Shareholders’ agreements – a key lesson about planning for the future