Carbon trading, emissions trading scheme and climate change
Across our multidisciplinary team, our lawyers have experience advising on the New Zealand emissions trading scheme (ETS), the Climate Change Response Act and the climate change aspects of Resource Management Act (RMA), carbon trading, carbon forestry projects and bi-lateral offtake arrangements and other commercial contracts relating to the ETS and New Zealand Units.
Our clients include commercial forestry owners and forestry management companies, power companies, industrial producers, developers, tourism operators, NGOs and agricultural businesses. Anderson Lloyd is also partnering with organisations to develop commercial structures to offset carbon and to encourage green investment.
Our expertise includes:
- Providing advice to forest owners and emission producers in relation to their rights and obligations under the ETS and the Climate Change Response Act.
- Advising on the structuring and implementation of carbon forestry projects.
- Advising on bi-lateral offtake arrangements for New Zealand Units.
- Advising on commercial contracts relating to the ETS and New Zealand Units, including carbon credit loan arrangements.
- Advising a local start-up on the commercial terms for its carbon farming and ETS management services.
- Providing advice on the climate change policy framework as it relates to the RMA and planning matters.
At Anderson Lloyd, we place high importance in employing sustainable practices and take a keen interest in working towards improved legislation around the use of our environment. We take ownership of, and are accountable for our measurable emissions while conducting day to day business. This is why Anderson Lloyd is proud to be the first mid – large size New Zealand law firm to become Toitū carbonzero certified in line with international best practice. To aid our commitment to the journey towards sustainable practice, we are active member of the Sustainable Business Council, Climate Leaders Coalition and the NZ Green Building Council. Anderson Lloyd also make an annual donation of 2,000 native trees to Trees That Count and volunteer for local planting groups to strengthen New Zealand’s unique biodiversity. Read more about our sustainability initiatives here.