Renewable energy and carbon trading
Anderson Lloyd offers specialist advice to clients on the implications of climate change law.
We place high importance in employing sustainable practices and take a keen interest in working towards improved legislation around the use of our environment. Across our multidisciplinary teams, our lawyers have both domestic and international experience advising on renewable energy projects, carbon trading, agriculture emissions and the climate change aspects of Resource Management Act (RMA) matters, and major infrastructure projects.
We have advised developers, lenders, multilateral agencies, sponsors and governments on over 40 power projects in over 20 countries, including wind, solar, hydro, and geothermal fuelled projects. Anderson Lloyd is proud to have advised on New Zealand’s first project financed renewables project. The project integrated specialist expertise across our Construction, Banking & Finance, Resource Management and Property teams.
Anderson Lloyd has a strong client base in the agricultural sector and advises agribusinesses and individual farmers on water rights, irrigation schemes and emissions regulation. Our clients also include some of Australasia’s largest forestry owners and forestry management companies.
Anderson Lloyd is also partnering with organisations to develop commercial structures to offset carbon and to encourage green investment.
Our expertise includes:
- Providing advice on the procurement, construction and maintenance arrangements for wind farms and hydroelectric power projects in New Zealand and Australia.
- Working with councils on district energy schemes.
- Project financing of geothermal power projects in New Zealand and solar projects in the Pacific Islands.
- Providing advice to forest owners and emission producers in relation to their rights and obligations under New Zealand’s Emission Trading Scheme and the Climate Change Response Act 2002.
- Advising on the form and structure of bilateral NZU sale and purchase agreements.
- “Cleantech” in the context of natural resource use and urban development and how environmental and planning law applies.
At Anderson Lloyd, we take ownership of, and are accountable for our measurable emissions while conducting day to day business. This is why Anderson Lloyd is proud to be the first mid – large size New Zealand law firm to become Toitū carbonzero certified in line with international best practice. To aid our commitment to the journey towards sustainable practice, we are active member of the Sustainable Business Council, Climate Leaders Coalition and the NZ Green Building Council. Anderson Lloyd also make an annual donation of 2,000 native trees to Trees That Count and volunteer for local planting groups to strengthen New Zealand’s unique biodiversity.