LLB (Hons), BCom, University of Auckland
Alan joined Anderson Lloyd in June 2017, having previously been a partner at Russell McVeagh, and has extensive experience in all areas of property law.
He specialises in project development (including retail and mixed-use developments), construction contracts and major commercial property leasing transactions. He also works with clients needing advice relating to subdivisions, and has experience dealing with major overseas investments in property.
Alan’s property expertise has led him to work with large corporates such as Woolworths, leading the property aspects of their transfer of $1.45 billion retail property assets to a new real estate investment trust.
Alan is internationally recognised by top global legal directories for his expertise advising on real estate and construction matters, including being named a Leading Lawyer in the 2019 Legal 500 and Chamber & Partners Asia Pacific rankings.
Alan’s practice has continued to develop throughout his career as he has worked in a variety of matters in his chosen area of property law. Recent work he has performed includes:
- Advising Progressive Enterprises on its recent major mixed-use retail development at Vinegar Lane in Ponsonby, Auckland.
- Acting for Ports of Auckland with respect to its property matters including land and wharf dispositions, leasing, subdivision and title restructuring.
- Acting for New Forests Asset Management on its recent acquisition of significant forestry assets in New Zealand, including obtaining Overseas Investment Act approvals.
- Acting on New Zealand’s largest forest acquisition for Hancock Natural Resource Group and continuing to advise on day-to-day property/forestry issues.
- Acting for Auckland International Airport on a broad range of general property and property management related matters including Public Works Act issues, leasing negotiations, document preparation and land title issues.
- Leading the New Zealand property aspects of the Woolworths due diligence for transfer to a new REIT (and leaseback) of $1.45 billion of Australasian retail properties, including major supermarkets and associated mixed retail tenancies.
- Advising Progressive Enterprises on its supermarket developments including acquisition of land and all related property issues, general property management advice and, sale and leaseback of own developed supermarkets.
- Advising on the subdivision and sale of the Westgate large-format retail centre.
- Leading the development and leasing of mixed-use regional destination centre at Five Mile, Queenstown.
- Assisting KiwiRail on a broad range of general property and property management related matters including development and leasing negotiations, and network title issues.
- Advising Vector on property title, easement and encumbrance issues affecting its New Zealand network.
- Drafting NZS 3910 contract with detailed amendments to GMP provisions for Argosy Property in respect of the development of a cool store facility in Christchurch.
- Providing construction contract advice to Vector on a range of infrastructure projects including relocation of cabling for the Transmission Gully project.